Sunday, June 8, 2008

PRK Experience- Day 2 and 3

Part 1- Pre-surgery

Part 2- Post-surgery


First off, I expect these entries to get smaller since all the important medical hooplah is out of the way. So, hoorah! Next, i want to say that I did notice a HUGE difference right after I got out of surgery. My eyes are quite blurry still, but I can actually see what is on t.v. from farther than 2 inches away. Which is what it was when I had glasses, I'm not exaggerating, my eyes were just that bad.

Okay, Day 2. We had a follow-up appointment at 8:30, so that sucked having to wake up for that. However, the appointment took all of 15 minutes and consisted of me attempting to read an eye chart and seeing a doctor who made sure my eye was healing as planned and the contact looks good. Everything's good. My vision went from about 20/1000 to 20/80 in a day. That's not the endpoint, as I'm not expected to reach 20/20 or stabilize for months. But that's pretty damn good. I can't remember the last time I was 20/80, I suspect it was in elementary school.

Nothing else to report for the rest of the day. I haven't been straining my eyes that much, but have spent a lot of time watching t.v. and on the computer (what else is new?). Apparently, I'm experiencing haze. Which means everything kind of has a halo around it. Which makes reading on the computer somewhat hard.

So now it's day 3 and I'm finding my vision begin to worsen a bit. They told me to expect this, so no big deal. I'm following the medication instructions, 4 times a day during breakfast, lunch, dinner and before bed. I'm also using the artificial tears religiously. Tear production is very important, so I'm glad that I can produce tears naturally as well, some people have a hard time doing so right after surgery.

I haven't been experiencing any pain from the surgery but today I was reminded why I hate wearing contacts. That's the pain I'm experiencing, felling the lenses in my eyes makes it a bit hard to keep them open and focus, but it's only two more days before I get them taken out. I'm not worried in the least that I'm doing something wrong, as aside from the lenses being bitchy, I feel just fine. I'm following directions, so what else can I do, right?

Well, Tuesday morning can't get here soon enough. I want these lenses out! I'm expecting my vision to get a bit worse after they're removed and from there, the roller coaster should begin. I'm still not ready to drive, not expecting that for a few weeks, but I'm also quite happy right now.

Healing from PRK takes time, but the results should be well worth it.

Next: Day 5

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!