Monday, June 23, 2008

Domain Name Scorecard

I've been hemming and hawing over a domain name for the website I will share with my boyfriend. This is a certainty that we're just putting off. Having a personal website to host your portfolio is pretty much an essential in the art world. It's also quite important in the business world as well, which is why I worked on Spinalrejuvenation.org to help that client reach a selected audience that he otherwise wouldn't get. Choosing a domain name is such an important step, that it should be taken seriously. This is your URL after all.

Network Solutions offers a neat little domain name scorecard, that helps see if your chosen domain name is helping your business. It's pretty basic, three steps, with three somewhat broad questions. It's nice, and does make you think "well, wait...maybe I should do this and that, I'll have a better site for my business". I tried it out with spinalrejuvenation.org, just to see, and I guess it didn't score too badly, 5/10.

The questions are this:

1.Have you registered additional extensions of this exact domain name?
2.Have you registered misspellings and common typing mistakes or names that sound like yours that a competitor might register?
3.Have you registered domain names that describe your products, services or locality?

This is definitely geared towards larger businesses, not personal portfolio sites like what I would like to have. While the questions are good, I do wish there were a few more or a better explanation of how to increase your score without spending more. Since the changes they suggest would mean spending more money. To a business, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, to an individual, that's pretty tough.

If you have a business or personal domain name, it might be fun to find out what your domain name scorecard is.


0 comments: