Sunday, June 22, 2008

Dr. Drew

Ever seen Celebrity Rehab on VH1? With Dr. Drew Pinsky? Yes/no?

I didn't really watch the first season, I'll admit it. Even though I'm a big fan of shows like Intervention, which show the horrors of addiction and the usefulness of drug rehab, I just never got into the whole "celebrity" aspect. I love Dr. Drew, I think he's a great doctor and a very knowledgeable man. He even came out and said that he's doing the show to educate the world on what goes on in a real rehabilitation setting. For that, which I think is an adequate reason since we've never actually been privy to a rehab unmasked as it were, I won't bash VH1 or declare the show to be an exploitation of pain and D-list celebrities.

I admire Dr. Drew, I really do, he was great on Loveline even though I stopped listening when it became too difficult to find the show and Adam Carolla left, and he's a great man of medicine. Whatever he says, I listen. I know recently he was in the news for saying in a Playboy article something about Tom Cruise joining a cult because he obviously had a messed up childhood, as this is the perfect example of that. Cruise's camp went on to compare Drew to a nazi, smart move. I really don't think Dr. Drew should have issued that apology, but he know how much of a headache he could have if he didn't.

I might start watching the next season of Celebrity Rehab, check it out and really see what drug rehab is all about. As I imagine I'll never need to go to one, god I hope not, but if I ever did I'd want to go to Dr. Drew's. I trust him to genuinely help people fight their disease.

0 comments: