Sunday, June 22, 2008

Beast With a Billion Backs

So, continuing with my love for all things Matt Groening, I'm excited for the upcoming DVD release of Futurama: Beast With A Billion Backs. Here's the trailer:



Yeeeppp, looks like it's gonna be fun on a bun! I've already pre-ordered my DVD!

...Okay, I'll admit that I've already seen it. But, I support Futurama and watched the movie with the full intent of purchasing the DVD. Futurama is one of the few series I own the entirety of on DVD, yes, I also have Bender's Big Score. The reason being, that all the television DVDs contain commentary that is as entertaining as the episodes themselves. I'm such a DVD nerd, I love audio commentary and I enjoy it even more when those commenting sound like they had a good time making the film/t.v. show. I think it enhances the viewing experience, and touches on things that the viewer may have missed. Thus, I love Futurama and its consistent DVD commentaries.

So, here's a short review of Beast With a Billion Backs (spoiler free):

It's....weird. Definitely one of the odder stories to take place in the Futurama universe. I do like it though, the story is just a bit different from other Futurama stories. Why? I suppose it's a little more of a horror story actually, while funny the plot is quite disturbing and could easily be turned into a Sci-fi thriller if you take away the comedy...and Bender. But where would Futurama be without lovable Bender and its witty comedy?

The jokes are still great, and I've read a few reviews of people who are hardcore Futurama fans who didn't like Bender's Big Score because they said the writing wasn't as good as the t.v. show. That's, frankly, bullshit. Considering that the show has the same staff of writers as the films, I don't see how it could be worse. In my mind, it's the same. In fact, a bit better. Longer "episodes" lead to longer jokes, giving them more time to grow and develop. Also, by crafting the movies around a DVD release, the writers are able to get away with material that Fox would otherwise turn down. Fox has such odd censor laws, I can't imagine what the Futurama movies would look like on that station. Good thing they've got a contract with Comedy Central, a more lenient station.

I'm glad I bought Bender's Big Score, the DVD extras were plentiful and amusing. While the full-length Hypnotoad episode was a little wearing (of course it was, it's Hypnotoad, there isn't much more to elaborate on), the science lecture was quite entertaining and of course, the commentary was right on par with the t.v. DVDs. Looking at The Beast With A Billion Backs, the extras should be just as good.

There are two more Futurama films coming out after Beast, you can be damn sure I'll be watching them.

0 comments: