Thursday, August 30, 2007

Spending too much on little bits of metal

I don't think there is one clothing item that I've ever paid full price for. I take great pride in shopping cheaply and I feel really good when I've spent a third of the retail price for something. The only time I really spend full price for any item is on body jewelry.

I have three piercings at the moment. Two lobes (they jump from 4gauge to 2gauge) and my lip (14gauge). I'm probably going to have to get more so I can use more of my jewelry XD.

I really love looking at everything. In my mind, something like this is far prettier than any diamond earing.

I love larger gauge jewelry. It's so easy to put in and fairly low maintenance, which is great because I'm lazy and can't stand dealing with tiny earring holes.

Now for a terrible segway:

Today was my last physical day in the office. For the past...many weeks that I've been working in the new building, I've had to wear a retainer in my lip because of the office environment. No big deal, when I get home I take out the retainer and put in a temporary circular barbell ring that is too wide and ugly. Then on the weekends I put in my old 16gauge CBR(minus the "R")because I don't want to deal with anything more.

Well, a while back I wanted to use a new piece of jewelry for my lip (one that could be easily switched out on weekends) and decided to order a lovely titanium segment captive ring in black from Painful Pleasures.



I was very happy when I got it and spent a good half hour attempting to put it together. I had no idea how hard it was to put together a segment ring! Fuck, those things are bastards. After trying to use that as my weekend ring, I decided it was far easier to just use my good ol' CBR.

Seeing as how today was my last day, I thought I could rest easy and put in the segment ring for the good long haul of the next 3 months at school. After wrestling for a good 45 minutes (on two separate occasions)I couldn't get the little bugger to close! The only thing I successfully accomplished was cutting my lip somewhat badly.

After that I couldn't take it anymore and just had to find something better. Which is when I stumbled upon this lovely black niobium continuous ring on Body Art Forms:


Beautiful right? No? Well, I guess it's an acquired aesthetic. But ohhh no, I'm on a body jewelry site, I can't just order that ring and be done with it! Not when I could get some free stuff and reduced shipping!

So, naturally, I spend too much time looking around and end up with a pair of Black flesh tunnels and a pair of clear eyelets. BUT, I got 10% off (because I'm awesome) and 4 free o-rings as well as a steel cbr. Which is rather nice.

I do like that segment ring but damn, it's a pain. I really hope I made the right choice now. I do so hate to remove my lip jewelry.

0 comments: