Thursday, August 2, 2007

Western Key to transportation

Collen over at Geeky Speaky has a great contest going on where you could win an 80gb Western Digital Portable Hard Drive. It's a great prize and easy to enter so I suggest you all do so. Free external hard drives don't come around every day y'know.

Lately I've noticed I have a huge dependence on portable technology. Why, my laptop is my life! I've been having a few problems with is as of late.Aside from adapter issues, my laptop enjoys making random scratching noises (clearly a hardware issue.) I'm pretty certain now that this baby won't last me more than a year.

That's why it's so important to me to back up my files. I have a lovely Maxtor external hard drive that's been with me for a year, but even that's not that reliable. The poor thing suffered a major disk failure and I ended up have to erase everything and start over from scratch. Now it appears to work okay, but every now and then it will automatically disconnect itself from my computer >.<;

Not to mention how much I rely on being able to easily transfer data at work. I find myself quickly bouncing back and forth between my laptop and the shared desktops. Like a USB fairy I skillfully shove my flash drive into whatever computer is free (sometimes there aren't any) and wait until the dear things acknowledge my tiny USB drive. Then, I transfer what I must and skip back to my laptop. Cynical with the knowledge that this dance will occur several times in a work day.

With an 80gb drive that runs only on USB, I could do mass transfers easily, and not go through that wicked routine several times a day.

Portability is what my life is run on. Easy portability is, not at the moment, part of my life apparently. :/

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

These drives are really useful for backing up data on. I have one to backup important pictures, files, data, etc. Then I disconnect it from my computer when I'm not backing up so it doesnt get infected with a virus. Pretty useful.