Sunday, September 30, 2007

Invader Grunt

On Friday, my boyfriend's roommate received Halo 3. This is a big deal to him, as this boy has been pining after the game for a good year or so. Within minutes of his arrival, my boyfriend and him had started completing the campaign on Heroic mode. I sat and watched, while occasionally working on stuff to keep me from being too bored.

While I enjoy video games, I'm not much of a gamer. I seem to know more about them than the average girl, and I do like them, I just don't have a ton of experience playing. I'm not terrible, but I'm not great either and I have a huge fear of embarrassment, hence my unwillingness to join in playing when people are around. But watching works, and this entire weekend I've seen so many cut-scenes and been witness to many epic battles.

It wasn't until 2 a.m. yesterday that I finally got a chance to play myself, sucking as expected but at least having fun.

Anyhoo, since yesterday was filled with Halo I didn't have a chance to post something for SSS. Which is funny because yesterday was all about visual arts. Nonetheless, today I come bearing a question that has been in my mind since the long hours of viewing Halo 3:

Are Covenant grunts and Irken Invaders related?



The grunts sound suspiciously like Invader Zim and his cronies. They also have triangle-packs on their backs, and are quite short, which is similar to Irken invaders. Grunts are also headstrong little idiots, following any orders placed by their tall superiors.

Study the above photo, play Halo 1, 2, and 3, then watch Invader Zim and tell me the grunts and invaders aren't related!

4 comments:

James Caskey said...

And don't forget the singer for Iron Maiden is an Invader as well!

Anonymous said...

They do seem rather similar, though Grunts are much less full of themselves.

On a related note, if you have watched the show enough and are familiar with Halo, which I am, you may have noticed the large amounts of Halo sound effects used in Invader Zim. Some good examples are in the first episode (I believe) when Gaz is playing her game slave, they use plasma pistol sounds. Another is in FBI warning of doom, within the first 30 seconds of the episode, you can hear a warthog turret sound coming from the video GIR is watching.

Gally said...

Hah hah, I've never noticed that before! I'll have to go back and watch those episodes now just to hear it XD

Anonymous said...

well it sounds awfully alike but before u say more reda the books.
The grunts attack in really, really big masses as often as possible.
Besides if u kill off any "leader"(elites or such) the grunts will just start running.
And a tip for a little easier gameplay is to use as much grenades as possible especially the grenades that sticks targets.