Monday, October 1, 2007

Love for Discovery

The Discovery Channel seems to be a staple on our t.v. It's the first channel myself, my roommate, my boyfriend and his roommate all turn too. I'd like to believe it's because we fancy ourselves intelligent folk with a love for knowledge. In reality, we all just love a few staple shows.

Dirty Jobs

Mythbusters

and the occasional casual viewing of Cash Cab or How it's Made.

Seriously, who doesn't love Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs? How can you not like these hosts?



Who here loves learning?!

Last year, we were one a Dirty Jobs kick, successfully downloading and watching all 5 seasons of it in less than a year. That's a lot of jobs to consider. So far we haven't started that with Mythbusters, but I'll give us a few years before the boyfriend decides we should actually start watching it more.

We're not completely crazy about catching these shows, but it is nice to have some sort of tv schedule. Basically, I have two important tv nights, Sunday and Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesday are also welcome to join the schedule, but it seems to be harder to watch shows that night, when his roommate is busy trapped in (well, now) Halo 3.

If you haven't seen the shows, you are missing out on one fabulous hour of television. Discovery Channel has proven to make good choices in their feature shows, and as long as they keep picking up interesting specials (Planet Earth anyone?), they'll continue to be the intelligent college kid's go-to channel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How dare you! How dare you forget Survivorman and Man vs. Wild. Of course, there is a scandal around Man vs. Wild... essentially there are (seemingly proven) allegations that host Bear Grylls is hopping off to hotels at night, and only pretending to stay in the "wild" for the cameras. Survivorman films himself, so we don't even have to be worried that the camera crew might throw him a granola bar.

Anyway, both shows are awesome. If you haven't seen them, add them to your list. Also, the History Channel's "Digging for the Truth" is great too.

Gally said...

I do enjoy a casual viewing of Survivorman, but it's not part of my routine or anything. I heard about the controversy for Man Vs Wild, which sucks and isn't fair to everyone who watches. With a name like Bear, you should be required to tough it out all day and night in the wild!

Man, The History Channel is fabulous. I love some of their great weapon programs, and Modern Marvels.I believe they did a series on drugs, which I found quite entertaining. The History Channel has a lot going for it but it seems like every time I turn it one, it's something terribly dull :(

Anonymous said...

Re: tuning in to the History Channel only to find dull programming...

You're right, generally speaking. That's why a DVR and a guide are extremely important. If you have one, set it up to record "Digging for the Truth".. it's an awesome show (though I don't "dig" the new host as much as the old one). There are UFO shows, etc. all the time too... but most of the time, if you flip to it, it's just a bunch of boring stuff.... It takes some guide scrolling to find the gems.

Anonymous said...

My son like the mythbusters. I think, it´s a good series.

Anonymous said...

I like Mythbusters too. Very informative and interesting. I like Man vs Wild too especially the episode on surviving the Costa Rican jungle.

Anonymous said...

I have seen this one and i was hooked watching this show. My kids love it too. YEAH!

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy a casual viewing of Survivorman, but it's not part of my routine or anything. I heard about the controversy for Man Vs Wild, which sucks and isn't fair to everyone who watches.