Monday, September 17, 2007

Industrialization

For my English class we have to read many a book by many an old/dead person. This particular class focuses on American Moderns from 1900-1945, joy. I'm not a huge fan of many of the authors or books that we have to read, but oh well, it's a requirement and I'm not completely bored out of my skull either.

Recently I finished Jack London's The Apostate and it brought up a couple questions. For those unfamiliar with the short story, it is about a boy working in a factory (think turn of the century child workers)who has been doing so for many years (I think around...9?) and finally breaks down and moves out. He is the perfect worker, honing his skill over several factory jobs until he becomes as accurate and as fast as the machines around him.

As he becomes better at his job, however, he loses his sense of childlike amusement. He stops dreaming, falling in love, and showing much emotion. He has been drained of all humanoid feelings, and form. Working in factories has given him terrible health and bone problems.


So I ask, in our world today do you think that you could excel at a monotonous job like working in a factory?


I noticed that I actually quite enjoy repetitive work, if I'm making good money and don't have to do much thinking (i.e. filing, writing/printing labels, data entry) I become quite proficient in a short amount of time. Which is why I have wondered what it would be like if I ever worked in a factory.

Not that I'm saying I'd want to, I'd like to avoid that at all possible costs, but if I had to I think I could be quite good at my job. I'm afraid that after a few years I would loose my humanity just like Johnny though.

0 comments: