Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Simple Invitation

It would be nice if Comedy Central would stop showing the same four repeat episodes of Scrubs over and over again. I love that show, but I get tired of it when I see the same episode more than 5 times. They're also episodes I don't especially enjoy, because of the plot and characters featured. Anyway, one of the episodes they showed again today is the one where JD visits a doctor convention and see the woman he broke up with who faked her miscarriage. That's not the point of this post, of course, there is a funny little scene where Elliot freaks out on her fiancee Keith, because he got the wrong font on their wedding invitation.

She goes off on a whole spiel about how if the invitations are wrong the wedding will be a disaster, she'll get fat and her life will be ruined. Now, of course this is overreacting. No wedding invitation font will destroy your life if it's not perfect. But it is funny how so many women get so caught up in their wedding planning that even a small detail like this makes the whole day feel like a disaster.

I'm not one of these women. I've never been the type to seriously plan my dream wedding, frankly I don't care. I just want a simple ceremony that isn't too expensive and that everyone can enjoy. Really, cost is the biggest driver behind my future wedding ceremony decisions.

That said, it's still fun to browse through wedding-related things. Like dress books, cake magazines, and Wedding Invitations.

I'm a fairly simple kind of gal, I don't like overtly cheesy cards, or one with traditional photos of a bride and groom. Really, I'm not a traditional type of person. I'd probably go with something simple, like this card stye.

I also don't especially enjoy calligraphic fonts, but I know it's a staple of wedding invites. I believe in looking through several kinds before choosing one. Really, this is a bit of a weakspot for 1st Class Wedding Invitation.com, they don't label their fonts or give examples. It's just "Font 1-70". I don't especially want to sit through 70 mystery fonts. I want to see exactly what the font is before trying it out. Saves time in the long run and makes it easier to compare two or more different kinds.

That said, this is probably what my invitation would look like:



The website does have a lot of options for invitation types, colours and fonts. However, I would probably just prefer to design my own invite as I do have graphic design and art experience. I know this is not an option for everyone, and I know there are millions of women out there who are just like Elliot and thrive in this sort of website environment.

It's not my cup of tea, but it's the perfect website for many women who want a lot of options in their invitations.

0 comments: