Friday, April 18, 2008

Gotham by Gaslight part 1

At the moment I'm working on a Gotham by Gaslight page for my inking class. It's fairly boring, but here's my tight rough:



From there, I blow up the image onto a 10 x 15" piece of Bristol board and start my pencils. Right now I've only got a basic outline draw in, but over the next few days I'll have the page finished.

Anyhoo, Gotham by Gaslight takes place in a Victorian version of Gotham city with a Jack the Ripper-esque character going around killing women. As in, it's not bloody London, it's not New York, it's an amalgam of the two resulting in an antique style Batman.

We had to restyle Batman's outfit as well as come up with character designs for the Jack-like character and a simple prostitute. I came up with a sort of mix between Sherlock Holmes and Batman, I'll post pictures when I have time to scan it in.

A few nights ago I stumbled upon a really interesting site which features some very cool action figure designs. Sillof's Workshop takes such classics as Star Wars, The Avengers, and the Justice League and creates awesome steampunk style toys.

He has a section for the Gaslight Justice League featuring his take on Batman:



I'd like to point out that I did my design before finding this site and I'm happy that I did, because the only similarity between our two designs is his cape. And even with that, mine's a tad different. I'll post my Batman design when I have time to scan it along with my finished pencils.

I suppose I'm a bit of a steampunk with my artwork. I really thrive on creating mechanical beings and am a fan of Victorian fashions. I suppose I should expand more on this style in the future as it's really quite fun to draw.

One of my favourite sections of Sillof's site is his section on Steampunk Star Wars. His redesigns of C-3PO and Darth Vader are fantastic.



I only wish he had more in his about me section. I'd love to know what tools he uses or have a tutorial on how to customize action figures like this. For now I'll just have to settle with his pretty pictures and hope he continues to update more in the future. Go check out his site if you're into Steampunk or just good customized action figures.

0 comments: