Monday, March 16, 2009

Bring on the Green!

Well, with St. Patrick's Day just a few days away, Savannah has been in full force with Irish themes, green everything, and tons of college kids and tourists lining the streets. I'm not a big fan of getting drunk and wandering the very crowded streets with other obnoxious drunkards, so I stay away from downtown that day. Call me antitsocial if you must, but that's really not my scene.

What is kind of cool is how the city dyes all of the water in public fountains green. Like this:
green fountain

This occurs mostly in the squares and Forsythe park, but I thought they dyed the river green too. It is pretty neat, but I can't imagine how well, gross it might look for green water to come out of wall fountains shaped like fish or children or something. I also don't know what they use other then food dye, but it's completely out of the system a day or two after the celebration. It also doesn't stain the statues or fountains, which is quite nice.

Yeah, I like to avoid the drunks, but there is a certain charm in green fountains.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All green!! All I want to say is the fountain is simply awesome.

Andreas Schwaack said...

It is pretty neat, but I can't imagine how well, gross it might look for green water to come out of wall fountains shaped like fish or children or something.

Lisa said...

Fountain designing is pretty cool."Bring on the Green" is good idea.Keep posting & updating...!!!

Jennifer Steuern said...

I don't see what the fuss is about either. I hate festivals etc.. so it's not my thing either. I bet Ireland don't even go as nuts as that!

surplus said...

Green is my favorite color nad I must say that this fountain looks really awesome in this green light. I would love to own a fountain like this in my garden.

Dee said...

That's not nearly as bad as it's been in my town, where the city hall decided to dye all the city's major fountains in the three colors of our flag, meaning red, yellow and blue. I mean, I like my country, but come on... So unicolor is way better!

gurgle said...

That's brilliant! Do they turn it red come Christmas?

Karl said...

It is a little bit too green for me, but it sure looks fun!

Ways to make extra money said...

I didn't like the green color here rather blue would be perfect match.