Thursday, February 26, 2009

Warm, Goosey Glow

One thing I really hate about this dumb dorm rooms is the lighting. It's just awful. 4 long fluorescent bulbs on the ceiling, covered by plastic, that give the room a bright white sanatorium feeling when turned on. That's why I bought a gooseneck standing lamp, and it's been my faithful giver of light for 3 years now.

The only time the overhead lights are turned on in my room is when we're just stopping in for something quick, or the lamp is packed away. That's it. This year I don't think we've had the lights on for more then 10 minutes at a time. Even when I'm drawing, the gooseneck lamp is good enough.

Really, good lighting is needed to make a dorm room feel inviting and lived in, not stark and ugly. It also cuts down on my migraines, I've noticed. I'll have a rule against fluorescent tube lighting in my house. Henceforth, it shall be forbidden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, back in college I stayed in a dorm with really awful lighting. My eyes hurt like crazy during exam weeks. I had to get myself a really good lampshade for my own sake. Glad thats over. :-)

Anonymous said...

My dorm had tile throughout the whole place, from the bedrooms to the bathrooms to the living room. We solved that quickly by buying lots of rugs.

Kristian Liebrand said...

You know what, back in college I stayed in a dorm with really awful lighting. My eyes hurt like crazy during exam weeks. I had to get myself a really good lampshade for my own sake. Glad that's over.