Friday, December 5, 2008

Black Friday

Thanksgiving went off well, I'd say. We went to two houses for it, and plenty of food was there at both. The evening commenced with staying up playing Rock Band 2 until we left at 2:30 to go stand in line at Best Buy. This is the first Black Friday I've been to in about 8 years, and the only one J's been to.

Our plan was to only hit up Best Buy, he wanted a new monitor, I wanted a few seasons of The Simpsons. That was all, no clothes shopping or anything else. Then go home and sleep. Since the last Black Friday I went to, (coincidently a Best Buy), was packed, with lines travelling deep into the store, I expected the same madness. But really, we didn't know what was in store for us, which is why we stood outside for over 2 hours in the cold in a line that reached past the large Kohls set up right next to Best Buy.

Of course, we weren't that hardcore, we saw several tents set up outside a few stores. That's crazy to me. The time went by fairly slowly, but just seemed to crawl for the last 10 minutes before the store opened at 5 a.m. It was so much more civil though than the last time I attempted Black Friday! Everyone shuffled inside in an orderly manner, the store was set up with several different lines that separated sections, and everyone was handed a map detailed what lines led to which product group beforehand. Since there was a line for computers, J made his way there to ask for his monitor and I made a beeline to the DVDs. The stock was great too, I was able to pick out all the seasons I wanted, with no crowding or pushing of anybody else.

After that, I met J at the computer line. The lines had little fences made of products. We stood there for a half hour, before the line snaked around and we noticed something. The monitor J was looking for was one of those products fencing us in. Which a quick slap to our foreheads and a jump, we grabbed one of the monitors and rushed to the check-out line. Surely, the line would be horrible, since everyone wanted to rush out and get to their next stop, right?

Wrong again. The line moved quickly and it was no longer than a typical weekend line at this Best Buy. Another fabulous surprise I'd say. We finally arrived home at 6 a.m., and after some badgering from my cat to feed him, fell into bed and slept until 3 p.m.

I'm pretty sure we could have gotten out earlier, if we hadn't stood in that silly line, but overall I was happily surprised with that Black Friday adventure.

Not that I really want to do it again. Not for several years.

0 comments: