Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Art of Being Campus Ready

Now that I'm no longer a struggling college student, I can really focus on making money. It's been tough for me to rationalize a full-time job while going to school, since I've been fortunate to have parents who could afford to send me to school without any loans. But now, now the real fun starts. In college, I wanted to spend all my time focusing on learning and evolving my artistic abilities so I'd have a solid foundation after school, I think I've done the best I could.

The only time I really went on a shopping spree for school items, was the first quarter at SCAD. After that, there was no mad dash to Target or Wal-Mart to get last minute items, since I was able to reuse everything from the earlier year. However, if I had an apartment, and not a dorm, to live in, I think it would have been very useful to have some sort of easy card my parents could load money onto that I could spend on apartment items. Not necessarily a credit card, and not putting money into my checking account, but a specific card to be used only for living items. Sears has a neat little gift card system they offer for their Sears CampusReady programme, where the parent and student both have a copy of the card and the parent can add on money whenever they want, in store or online. The card can also be used at Kmart, so that makes it easier when a student needs groceries, or other things Sears just doesn't carry.

It's a good system, I think. Sears has a whole tool to help get the necessities for incoming freshmen with their Campus Ready programme. There's even CampusReady on Facebook, so students can easily access it while doing the usual Facebook daily check.

It's actually pretty cool, for those who are so into designing their own dorm room or want to coordinate with their roommate(s). To me...it's a little overboard, but I'm a simple person who plans on using what she bought for her dorm room for a loooonnnngg time after. Except for those stupid sheets, that only fit on the college issued extra-long-twin and no other bed. But, those shall be saved for the next generation of college bound. And hopefully Sears will still have a good programme like this to help us out and budget.



Post?slot_id=42756&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

3 comments:

Nicole Weeverink said...

I went grocery shopping today. Have you ever noticed that when you are in a rush and want to get in and out quickly and walk as fast as you can that the most annoyingly slow people cut out in front of you and won’t let you pass? I hate that, I kind of just want to push them with the shopping cart to where they need to be, it would help both of us out, if you think about it. They will get to their destination quicker, and I will be able to walk without them getting in my way. It’s a win win situation.

Jason said...

They don't eat half as much vegetables as I should and I haven't had a piece of fruit in over a week. So it starts right here, right now. I found my little book to track my food in. I have a workout plan that isn't too killer. Yet. And I have a food plan, avoid processed foods. It's going to be tough at first, I'm too used to eating the crap, but I know once I adjust I'll feel fabulous. So the battle starts now and it's one I'm going to win this time. Off to exercise.

bond ratings said...

That's not nearly as bad as it's been in my town, where the city hall decided to dye all the city's major fountains in the three colors of our flag, meaning red, yellow and blue. I mean, I like my country, but come on. So uni color is way better.